Thursday, August 16, 2012

On your mark - get set - ALMOST GO!  The dates are set!!  I go to see the OD September 19th for sugical hooks (yeah)!  Presugical appointment with OS on September 24th - Surgery September 28th!  Im really glad to have the dates in the calendar, but now it makes it real.  Im just trying to figure out how to get everything done by then.  You see, Im self employed which means no 6 weeks medical leave so I have to carefully plan income.  I am taking a major certification test the first week of September and I am in constant study mode for that.  I have a vacation scheduled for the week of September 9th, but I can actually make this a working vacation by bringing my computer with me. And I have a "ghost hunt tour" on September 22nd with my crazy friend Krys! This should be a lot of fun... I think we are driving to Kentucky or Tennessee, staying overnight at a haunted hotel(?) and then driving home after a short amount of sleep!  It is probably a great thing to have going on the weekend before surgery to keep my mind off things!! 

I've been asked if I am scared or nervous.  I can honestly say "no" at this point, but that is not to say that I am not concerned.  Having gone through this before, I sort of know what to expect and I have excellent preparation skills!  By the time the surgery rolls around I will have my recliners all equiped with "stuff" such as blistex, boogie wipes, towels, pillows, etc.  All of my blenders will be ready and waiting.  The pantry will be stocked with high calorie, high protein, well balanced stuff to liquify!  (I actually read where you could add silken tofu to smoothies for added protein!) 

I think my husband, Mike, is more concerned than I.  When I don't feel well, its a good idea to leave me alone unless I let you know that I need something. He likes to help - it's his nature where I am concerned.  Sometimes I get a little grumpy when Im under the weather..... you get the picture!  So Mike - I am apologizing in advance for being less than my happy cheerful self :)

This brings me to my only big concern - only 1 night in the hospital??  Really???  I would love anyones thoughts on this.  I'm a pretty tough girl, so I hope this is right - but I dont want to go home and not be ready to be out of the hospital setting.  Does this sound like a reasonable concern??  I think so.

My next task on the blog is to figure out how to upload pictures!  I would like to add a shot of pre-surgery from 1984, what I look like now, and post op 2012~!  Until then  - keep smiling!!

5 comments:

  1. Sherry,

    I have found your blog today, and I hope everything goes well on your journey.

    I had my jaw surgery five years ago, and I had to stay in the hospital for 3 nights. Having said that, I do think it's possible to go home on the day after the surgery as long as you have someone to look after you,and it seems you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tatiana, thanks for posting! I was wondering if anyone would find it!LOL!
    If you don't mind me asking, what type of surgery did you have and where? I'm still feeling pretty good about doing this, but I am sure I will become more anxious as the date gets closer! And yes, I have the best care taker, my Hubby! He doesn't mind me at my worst, and knows how to use a blender!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask away!

    Well, I did everything! Upper and lower jaws and genioplasty. I was not wired shut nor did I have to use bands of any kind, so that was great (I do have 50 or so screws and plates in my face)! I live in Brazil so I had my surgery here.

    As for caretakers, I had my mother and, when she had to go back to work, my grandmother stayed with me at home. Because I was free to open my mouth, eating was not a big issue. While I had my stitches on, I ate homemade baby food and when they were removed, I could eat anything as long as I didn't chew, so no big issues there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you feel now? Any numbness ? Everything turn out okay for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, five years later, I'm great! My range of movements is the same as before the surgery, so no problems there.

      I do have a little numbness in my lower chin, but that doesn't bother me at all.

      Delete